Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 14. July 15. Paris

We started our day by going to a church called Sainte Chapelle. It was built in the 13th century and is still standing. It had a ton of stained glass windows, which are my favorite, and 70% of the glass is original. It was very pretty. From there we went over to the Pompidou museum. We were all very excited about going because it is very modern and funky. Little did we know what treasures we were going to find while we were there. There are a lot of famous designers there who have their furniture displayed such as Miss van der Rohe and La Corbusie. It was cool to see their furniture. But once you dug a little deeper it was all crazy. There were videos of naked women dancing. One included a very large woman dancing and rolling around on the ground. Another one showed just the stomach of a woman hula hooping with barbed wire. Ha! Everything was so bizarre, but interesting. After that we got some lunch and then headed over to the Louvre. It is so huge and overwhelming you can’t really take it all in. We decided the best thing to do was to hit up the major things like the Mona Lisa and Aphrodite. Those were really cool to see but by that time we were pretty museumed out and decided to leave. Looking at the map we saw that we were right on the Champs Elysees and because my computer charger exploded my brother had told me there was a computer store there. So everyone was nice enough to head that way with me. We knew that it was close to the Arc de Triumph and from the Louvre we could see the arc. Little did we know that it was FOREVER away. I felt bad to drag the fab five along but they were so nice about it. We got to the store and I asked the guy if they sold the charger I was looking for and he said no. I was really frustrated at this point because I had fallen behind in all my work and blogging and I was feeling really out of touch with people so I went to a corner and called my mom and started to cry. Anyway we figured it out that my parents would just send me a new cord and it was fine. I stayed in the corner to compose myself and a little old guy was watching me and I finally turned around and he said, “You feel okay now?”(in his French accent). I just smiled and said yes. But it was sweet he was very concerned about me. We have found some real creepers here but there are also some genuinely kind French people. So we went and saw the Arc de Triumph real quick and headed back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment