Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 6. July 7. Firenze


We met in this piazza that has this carrousel and started the tour. We started by going through the Uffizi museum. There were a lot of paintings and statues. The most famous painting was the birth of Venus. There were also three versions of the Madona and child that were interesting to see. We then made our way the Academia museum. This is where the statue of David is. I loved seeing that. Originally it started out as a 40 ton block of marble and Michael Angelo whittled it into 7 tons. He really did amazing work. There were also about ten other statues that he had started but never finished. Michael Angelo believed that when he was sculpting that the figure was already inside the marble and he just needed to find it. So he wouldn’t sketch the figure out or anything he just did it. We took a little lunch break and Brady, Ali, and I went to a little store where we got fruit, nutella, and bread. The total cost was about E1.80 each and I was totally satisfied. I have no idea what they do with their bread but it is amazing. We all met back up and the Baptistery at the Duomo and we went inside. The amazing thing about a lot the these baptisteries and churches is that a lot of them don’t have paintings. They looks like painting but they are actually mosaic tiles and they are so pretty. I can’t imagine putting an entire ceiling together with those. Then we made our way into the Duomo and looked around and most of us lit the candles they had. Then we left on a little walking trip to sketch. We started at a bridge sketching the Pontevecchio; which is a bridge that used to be housing but is now a big shopping area. Then we sketched some of the skyline and then made our way to a park where Darrin decided to have some of the students give other students, probably mostly meant for me, a sketching lesson. It was good it helped refresh my memory of sketching methods. Then we all hiked up this huge hill to this church to hear some monks chant. I thought I had avoided getting sweaty that day until hiked the hill. We left the church and went to a lookout point and saw the most beautiful view of Florence. That made the hike totally worth it. I didn’t realize how beautiful it was until we saw it from that view.

No comments:

Post a Comment