
First off I want to apologize for my blog being messed up. I don’t know why but it won’t let you blow up the pictures. I’ll upload them as larger pictures so maybe you can see them better. Sorry.
Anyway, Today we started out the day by meeting at 6:40 at the train station for a trip to Wilton House.

Linds, Ali, and I had to get out morning pick me up with an apple muffin and hot chocolate. The weather is crazy! One second you can look out the window and see the sun shining. Then we walk down the stairs and its pouring outside. Really bizarre. Anyway we were on the bus and I smiled at the little old lady sitting next to me and she got all excited and started talking to me. She was so sweet. I’ve met some very sweet British people while we’ve been here. Anyway, she was very excited for us to see Wilton House. We went to the stables, which has been converted into a visitors center and we watched to introduction video.

The video shows a ghost nun talking about the home’s history. It was a very poorly done video and very funny. The Wilton house is the home of the Earl of Pembroke. The earl that lives there now is the 18th and is very attractive, but recently got engaged. Too bad. After the movie we had the most adorable older tour guide names Joce(I think that’s how she spelled it). She gave us a tour around the home and then into the gardens. She took us over the bridge that was designed by the same man who designed the Rialto bridge in Venice. We then made our way back to the restaurant where they had pastries and lemonade waiting for us. I had an nice warm cinnamon roll. I was happy with that conclusion to the visit. We then went to the Salisbury Cathedral.



We took a tour with a man who was very excited to tell us all about his funny stories of the Cathedral, and also throw in a little casual swear every now and then. And then we went above the church into the rafters. I’m scared of heights and the fact that this church was built in the 1200’s makes me even more nervous about being in the ceiling of the church. But it is really amazing that they did such an amazing job of building it that it still stands today and they were able to build it in 38 years. Pretty impressive if you ask me.


But the stairs up to the base of the spire just about killed me. I they were so narrow, small, and high, I just about freaked out. We got to the top and there was a nice view of the town but I needed to have a good grasp on something to get near the edge (Ali is worse than I am so that made me feel better about being a baby about it ha). Anyway the spire is the tallest in the UK and just 4 feet short of one in Germany. After that we hiked back down and took some taxis to Stonehenge. It was weird because we were driving on a road in the country and you come over a little hill and it was right there, just next to the road.

Anyway it was fun to see it. We had an audio guided tour explaining logical and not so logical theories about how and why it is there. More logical: they rolled them on logs then hoisted them with levers and pulleys and had scaffolding. Not so logical: The devil came to an old poor woman who had the stones in her backyard. He made a deal with her that he would give her as much money as she could count while he moved the rocks. She knew that it would take a long time and she would become a very rich woman. But the devil scooped up the rocks and flew away leaving her with nothing. So it was a fun busy day!
No comments:
Post a Comment