Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 21. July 22. London




We got up at 4:30 to get ready for our appointment with Brinton Carpets. We met at the train station at 5:30 and got on our way. We were supposed to dress up and look good but at 4:30 its hard to do anything right. But we did try. We took a two hour train ride and then a 45 minute bus ride to get there. Then we were greeted with some cookies, water, and a flash drive for all of us. We were split up into four groups and they had a schedule set up for each group. We started out by doing to tour of the factory. There were seven of us but they first guide said he could only take 5. So Linds and I got left behind. Another guy came to give us a tour. His name was Andy and he was really put out that he had to wear the neon yellow vest and ear plugs like the rest of us. He was really entertaining. It was kind of weird that it was only Lindsey and I but he was a good time. Then we went back into a room where one of the designers, John, talked to us more about what they do. They are one of the biggest carpet companies in the world. They do a lot of big hotels, a lot of cruise ships, and they also just did Buckingham Palace. Then it was time for lunch. They had made a variety of sandwiches and different British foods that weren’t exactly to my liking. And then many of us found places on the sofas or on the floor to take a nap. I woke up and looked around I saw Lind and ally asleep on Brady’s shoulder but I couldn’t see Kait. I looked down and she was under the table in the fetal position. It was really funny but I didn’t have my camera with me. After lunch we went to the Archive/Library. The lady there was so cute and showed us all of the old designs that they have found that date back to the 1700’s, and all of the different things that the library can help do. One cool thing that they do is when someone is restoring an old home or something they can come to her and she can show them what kind of carpet and styles were used during that time so that it can really be accurate. By the time the last hour came we were all exhausted but they were so nice and were showing us the sales and design part of it. They were so generous to let us come and it gives us a great reference as designers. I was so tired I was gone as soon as we got on the train to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment