We started off early at the Museo Borghese. It was beautiful! It displayed some amazing artwork and sculptures. The most famous of these being the sculpture of Apollo and Daphne, this shows Apollo trying to catch Daphne as she is turning into a tree. It was beautiful. We then made our way back to the Coliseum and went inside. Something that I didn’t realize before was that it used t
o be entirely covered with marble but they tore it all off to build a temple. It was pretty amazing to see it the way it was but I can only imagine how amazing it used to be. After that we started a tour with Antonella, doing the tour of churches. The first church we visited was St. Clements. It had the relic of St. Peter’s chains. It also had an amazing marble sculpture of Moses. The second was St. Marie Maggiore. It is a church tribute to Mother Mary. The ceiling has beautiful gold leafing. The gold used is the gold from Christopher Columbus’ journey to America. He gave it to the queen of Spain. She then gave it to the church as a gift because she wasn’t able to make it to the opening of it. The last church was a church from Angels and Daemons. I don’t remember the name of the church but it had a statue called the ecstasy of St. Theresa. We started making our way down to the Trevie Fountain but we were stopped at
the president’s mansion because of the changing of the guards. It was pretty cool. The band was playing and the guards were marching. We tried to get around it by going down a different road and then the guards started marching down the street with us and one of the guys was talking to us, which seemed a little inappropriate(I wonder if he got in trouble for it). It was interesting to see. Then we got to the Trevie Fountain. Antonella told us that if you throw one coin in then you get good luck. If you throw two coins in you will find a nice Italian man. If you throw three coins then he will ask you to marry him. I was going to go for three but I decided I really just need good luck. One of the best parts of Rome is that they have decorative water fountains for drinking everywhere around the city, and it was actually really good water! The Trevie fountain had a cute one right by it. After that we had the rest of the night open so we went and got dinner and a pizza place. I had a huge slice of pizza for E1.50. I was pretty happy about that.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment