Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 3. July 4. Roma


We started the day with Antonella again on a tour of the Vatican. We first went through the museum. It had beautiful statues, paintings, tapestries, and flooring! They used some of the flooring from Caesar’s temple and other historical places. It was gorgeous! The museum leads right into the Sistine Chapel with Michael Angelo’s ceiling. It is really unbelievable that I stood in the same place where he did. I can’t even imagine how he was able to complete a task like that, but WOW! Pretty incredible. From there we made our way to St. Peter’s Basilica. Out of all of the places that is probably my favorite so far. I keep saying this, but this was beautiful! It is the biggest church in the world and to prove so they have stones that have a star on them down the middle of the floor. If you stand on the star and look forward to the window you can read the name of the church on the stone and that marks how big that church is compared to St. Peter’s. There was also a statue of St. Peter where you touch the foot and make a wish and St. Peter is supposed to grant you that wish. Then we climbed the dome. I’m terrified of heights and I can’t even begin to explain to you how huge this place is. When you look up it looks big but you don’t really understand until you are up at the top. There is lettering that lines the top of the building looking up at it doesn’t look that big in actuality just the letters are 6’. The gold around the lettering is 8’. My knees were buckling up at the top, but once we got outside it was so pretty. It was a great view of the city! Then we had the rest of the night to ourselves, so Lindsey, Kaitlyn, Ali, Brady, and I went to the Pantheon. That was really fun to see. It is the oldest church in Rome and is about 1000 years old. Pretty crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment